Monday, April 5, 2010

365- #72- 78 (Easter Traditions Pt. 2)

Eggs are also part of our tradition at Easter.  I know it has nothing to do with Jesus, but it has been a part of my family's traditions all my life so we kept it. 
Each year we visit my family (siblings and parents) for Easter, and we have an Egg Decorating Contest.  Our family spends a whole afternoon, getting our creative juices flowing, and decorating eggs on Good Friday.
Here are the supplies:

Eggs, of course...

dye....

and art supplies....

This year's winners:
from left to right....Ugliest egg, Silliest egg, & Best Character (Cousin It) for the kids' contest

I don't know if these actually won....but they could have:

the three on the left are the ones that I made....
and the three on the right were the winners of:
Most Beautiful, Best Color & Most Creative in the adult contest
It's a ton of fun!  everyone gets to vote on their favorites for each category...and sometimes there are prizes :)

Following the contest, the adults hide the eggs around the yard and the kids get to hunt for them. 
Whichever eggs they find, they can use to "paque" with.

For those of you who have never heard of "paquing" (pronounced "pock") eggs, here's a description: 
2 people take a boiled, decorated egg and gently knock them together (it makes the sound of "pock" although I don't know if that's why it's called that).  The one whose egg is cracked first is the loser. The winner gets to find another egg to paque....hoping that he'll have the strongest egg of all.
 Every family has a different tradition for the winner, but we just keep on paquing until there's one egg left....just for fun.  No prize winners.  And, then we throw all the eggs away....by that time, they've been through a lot and were very useful....but too germy to eat!


I love spending time with my family!  It was hard to say good-bye at the end of the day!  I always feel like we're just started when it's time to go.

7 comments:

Cat said...

Hey--how fun. This year even my mother didn't boil eggs. So there was no paquing! Kind of missed it! Glad you had a great day. (your eggs should have won btw! :)

Tonja said...

I think my hamburger egg actually won....but I can't remember what category :)

J said...

What a fun family tradition - and those are some creative eggs!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, what Fun!

Jenn said...

Boy does y'alls egg decorating make ours look bad!!! I love the ladybug egg. Very cute! What a great time y'all must have doing this.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving that egg holding contraption--very ingenous! Now I'm patiently waiting on a blog comment from you! I keep checking my blog and I'm so sad when I don't see a Tonja comment:(

Kathy C. said...

Wow...those are some fantastic eggs! What fun. :)